DS-82 Application for Passport Renewal is a convenient procedure by mail to renew a US passport. It is used when your document is expired or near to it.
- This form has a regular format with several fields to fill out. A person may print a blank form firstly and then complete it by hand or do it online.
- It is required to enter personal data and appearance details, place of work, travel plans etc.
- There are certain moments that may prevent an individual from DS-82 submission.
- Your passport is seriously damaged
- It was issued to you in illegal way, for example you were under 16.
- You obtained it more than 15 years ago.
- Your passport was issued not in your current name and you can’t provide documents to prove your name change
In all these cases you should apply for a new passport instead of filing Form DS-82.
- Please note, that you may choose from different types of documents.
It could be a regular passport book or one for frequent travelers. Also, a passport card is available or even both options.
- In total the processing time may last up to 6 weeks. Nevertheless, it is possible to speed up the procedure. For example, you may refer to the regional passport agency and inform them that you are going abroad in the next 14 or 30 days so you need a visa. Prepare an authorization letter and a copy of the travel itinerary from a travel agency together with Form DS-82 to confirm your plans. Expedite passport renewal will take about 3 weeks.
- After the collecting all the necessary documentation submit them and DS-82. You may also print the form, fill it out by hand and then send to an addressee.
- If you don’t know where to find an appropriate template go to any post office in United States or embassy if you are abroad. For quicker decision have a look at database.